Us

Us

Monday, March 31, 2008

Taxes are my friend!!!

Over the weekend Adam and I finally got everything ready to take over to H&R Block so that we could get squared away with Uncle Sam. I was very aprehensive about the whole thing because of my unique "job situation" last year. To fill you in if you didn't know: Mark paid me everything.... and I mean everything, so nothing went to taxes. I didn't really get that whole thing until I filed my taxes in 2006 and realized what had happened. (I know I'm very naive when it comes to things like this....LOL) Earlier in the year we had talked to some people about what I was going to owe in taxes and they totally freaked me out!!! He told me that I would probably owe about $4,000. What?!!! Welcome to reality Jamie! Then I found out that there were deductions for technically being self-employed but I still counted on owing taxes for 2007.
Now here comes the rest of my tax story. H&R Block had me count miles and a portion of my cell phone in order to deduct the proper amount. The lady filled in lots of spaces, included my education credits and then I started to phase out just waiting for the total amount we would have to shell out. All of the sudden Adam yelled, "YES!" I was so confused and then they filled me in on the good news. We would be receiving $1,000 from the IRS and $500 plus the $1200 economic stimulus!!!! Hooray for coming out ahead... even though I know this probably won't ever happen again:) I'm still very glad that I switched jobs so that my taxes come out each month and I can sleep peacefully at night. Anywho, just thought I would share that with you all and remind you to file before April 15th so you can get the economic stimulus too!! Happy April!

No comments: