Us

Us

Monday, September 7, 2009

All the controversy...

I just read President Obama's speech for students that he will give tomorrow and I am impressed. I understand people's fears of it being politically directed but I'm am impressed that the White House released it a day early so that everyone had a chance to read it and make their own decision. My school isn't watching it because we didn't really have enough time to get word out to the parents so that they could have the option to keep their kids home or send them to school, but I'm sure that if we would have had a bit more time we might have been able to show it to whoever wanted to watch it. (I am disappointed that the White House couldn't have let educators know about this a couple of weeks ago so that we could have done more to prepare.... that seems a little fishy to me but not a deal breaker. I really related to his remarks towards inner city students because of my experience at Dixon Middle School and the experience I continue to gain. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way that I can have my students read or see it but I'll have to talk to my principal.
I really believe that students, especially inner city school students, will benefit from this speech and I wish that they could have made this announcement a week earlier in order to give schools more time to prepare since we can't just "show" anything, whether it's from the President or not without parental permission. I'm also pretty sure that if they had given more time, more schools would be watching it tomorrow, even the ones that are staunch republican. (seriously)

3 comments:

idaho amy said...

Just a little FYI...It wasn't the White House that was late getting the word out--it must have been your school district because last week my friend was telling me that her sister (who teaches school in southern Utah) had sent letters home letting parents know about the speech earlier in the week.

Hope your year is off to a great start!!!! Have you gotten your white board yet??? When you do, I would love to see some final pictures of your cute classroom!

Love you!

Lacey said...

I'm with you. I actually was able to have my class watch it. Thanks to a great principal. I did unfortunately have about 7 students whose parents didn't want them to watch it. I feel bad because their children missed out on what I thought was an awesome inspirational speech. Sad really.

So Many M's said...

How fun that you have a blog. I just saw it today on Facebook. I love how you learn so much about a person through their blogs. (lame I know, but in today's times you take what you can get right). You are a beautiful person.